Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts



I came across this baked apple cider doughnut recipe in the local newspaper. I used a mini doughnut pan and made them gluten free with less sugar. They were so good, even my picky eaters gobbled them down.


Doughnuts:
1 1/4 cups sugar - I used 1/2 cup
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
1/4 cup boiled apple cider
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 cups flour - I used equal parts Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour and Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour
2 Tbs cinnamon sugar


Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar - I used 1 cup
3 Tbs maple syrup
2 tsp milk or 1 Tbs heavy cream


Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease doughnut pans.

In a large bowl, beat sugar, applesauce, oil, eggs, cider, vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until smooth. Add flour and stir. Fill the doughnut pans.
Bake 15 to 18 minutes. Combine the glaze ingredients.

While still warm, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or add to a bag with cinnamon sugar and shake.

When completely cool, spread the glaze over each doughnut. Let set before serving.

Comments