Buckwheat Apple Muffins

I've just discovered Buckwheat flour in Hannaford. Buckwheat is gluten free and full of vitamins iron and potassium. It is also very high in protein, comparable to meat, eggs and milk. Buckwheat is low in fat and sodium.
Buckwheat is an herb, not a grain and from what I've read it can be used 1 for 1 in place of flour in any recipe that calls for using flour: breads, muffins, cakes, pizza dough etc.
My first attempt at using buckwheat flour resulted in the following recipe. They were approved by my 2 picky eaters. Pretty good flavor, add more sugar if you wish, and pretty moist.
Next time I make this I will try all buckwheat flour.

4 tbs butter, softened
1/8 cup canola oil or 2 tbs additional butter
2 eggs
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup raw honey
1/8 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plain yogurt

1 cup buckwheat flour
plus 1 cup flour of your choice:
1 cup buckwheat flour
or
1 cup all purpose flour
or
(Since I have a bunch of flours on hand, I used:
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup organic pastry flour
1/4 cup unbleached, unenriched white flour
1/4 cup organic all purpose flour)
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 apples, quartered
1/2- 1 cup berries of your choice, optional

Preheat oven to 400.
In food processor, combine butter, oil, eggs, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla, yogurt and mix. Add flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and mix.
Add buttermilk and mix. Add apples and mix until apples are chopped. Stir in berries of your choice, if using.

Pour batter into muffin cups. I filled the muffin cups halfway to make smaller muffins which made 32 muffins.

Bake at 400, 15 - 20 minutes.

Comments