Grandma's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

This is my mother's strawberry rhubarb pie recipe. My oldest son loves it! I made it last weekend and he ate the whole pie himself, except for 2 small pieces! Him and my sister even fight over sharing this strawberry rhubarb pie whenever my mother makes it.
This is the original recipe with the additions I made to cut down the amount of sugar & salt. I also added cinnamon & nutmeg to make up for the lack of sugar.


Makes 1 Pie Crust:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup canola oil
2 1/2 tbs water


Filling:
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - I used 1/4 + 1/8 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt - I used 1/8 tsp salt
5 tbs all-purpose flour
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 cups diced rhubarb
2 tbs butter
I also added 1/2 tsp cinnamon, dash of nutmeg


Preheat oven to 425.
Combine all ingredients for the pie crust. Roll out dough between 2 pieces of wax paper and put bottom pie crust in a glass pie pan.
Combine all ingredients for the filling, except strawberries & rhubarb. Mix dry ingredients into strawberries & rhubarb. Put into crust in pie pan. Dot with butter. Add top crust. Flute edges. Bake 40 - 50 minutes.


More Pie Recipes


Comments