Homegrown Organic Vegetables GourmetGiftBaskets.com

It's the middle of March in upstate New York, and temperatures the past week have been in the 60's and 70's. It is very spring like. Last Sunday, I spent the afternoon planning my garden. There is nothing like fresh, homegrown, organic vegetables. No waxy skin, no pesticides lurking inside, no GMO's. Fresh, homegrown, organic vegetables make a huge difference in salad recipes. They taste so much better. They also contain more nutrients than conventional store bought vegetables.
This year I am expanding the selection of vegetables that I am growing. I'm going to try celery, corn, beets, butternut squash, pumpkin and asparagus. I normally grow lettuce, spinach, garlic, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots and radishes, kale and swiss chard. Every year I try to add something new.
I have two separate garden areas. The area in the back I am turning into a square foot garden area. A square foot garden uses less space, but grows just as much as a regular row garden. It also cuts down on the amount of weeding that needs to be done. The back garden doesn't get as much sun as the garden in the front. The front is where I plant all of the sun loving vegetables like peppers and tomatoes.
I also grow blueberries, strawberries and grapes. I'm thinking about adding a raspberry bush. We have blackberries that grow wild around the house. I also have a peach tree, but it hasn't produced any fruit yet. I'm going to add apple, pear and cherry trees at some point. With all of that fruit being produced, I would be able to make my own fruit baskets, like they sell at GourmetGiftBaskets.com.
I love gift baskets. They make a nice gift, and the theme of each one can be tailored to the recipient's tastes. I put together a couple of movie baskets as Christmas gifts this past year. They turned out great. There are even organic gift baskets available at GourmetGiftBaskets.com. They also sell wine, Easter, chocolate, baked good, popcorn, and pizza gift baskets. No organic, vegetable gift baskets though. Guess I will have to make my own.

Comments