Martha Gillen's Cutout Cookies



I just picked up a set of heart shaped cookie cutters, so for Valentine's Day, I'm using them with my go to cutout cookie recipe. They are super good! It's an old, long lost family recipe by Martha Gillen. I think she was my great grandmother - father's mother's mother. The dough is very sticky, so have an extra cup or so of flour on hand. Refrigerating the dough for a few hours before rolling it out will also help.

2 cups sugar - I used 1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening - I used 1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream - I used 1/2 cup sour cream or 6 tbs full fat coconut milk from a can
1 tbs vanilla
4 cups all-purpose flour + at least 1 cup - I used 2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour and 2 cups Bob's Red Mill all purpose gluten free flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg


Preheat oven to 375.
Spray cookie sheets with oil or non-stick cooking spray or use parchment paper.
Add all ingredients in order and mix well. Add extra flour if dough is too sticky. If the dough is a little crumbly with gluten free flour, use your hands to knead it. That should combine the ingredients better. The original recipe says to let dough rest for 10 minutes, but I refrigerate it for at least 2 hours.
Roll out between 2 well floured pieces of wax paper. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
Bake at 375 for 9 - 10 minutes.


Here is a healthier version I just made for Easter:

2/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbs vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon

I refrigerated the dough for a couple of hours. This version wasn't quite as sticky as the original version, but still needs some extra flour when rolling out.


The frosting recipe I used was from my Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, pg. 382. Double the recipe for a full batch of cut out cookies.

Buttery Decorator Icing

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/8 cup shortening
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbs milk

In large bowl, combine butter and shortening; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, mix well.
Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in enough milk at high speed until light and fluffy and of desired consistency.


(paid links)

More Cookie Recipes



Comments