Beer Wine Blood Sugar

wine.com infographic
Brought To By Wine.com, Purveyors of Fine Wine and Champagne


Thanks to my high blood sugar issues, my doctor put me on a mediterranean, low glycemic diet. Luckily, it's working. I have way more energy than I used to, and my blood sugar is now in a normal range.
I recently read a book called The GI Mediterranean Diet: The Glycemic Index-Based Life-Saving Diet of the Greeks by Fedon Alexander Lindberg. It is a great book for explaining what exactly happens to your blood sugar. One thing I learned is that beer is very bad for the blood sugar. Maltose, the sugar in beer, has a GI of 105. Table sugar only has a GI of 50. The book recommends low carbohydrate beer if you must drink beer.
The mediterranean, low glycemic diet actually recommends a glass of red wine per day. I used to have a beer on Saturday nights, but since reading the The GI Mediterranean Diet book, I've switched to red wine. I like cabernet sauvignon.
Around Christmas time, I placed an order from Wine.com. I highly recommend them for ordering wine online. They have a huge selection, prices are reasonable and they sometimes offer shipping deals. For the order I placed, I only had to pay a penny for shipping. The wine bottles were shipped UPS in a huge box. Each wine bottle was placed in a special cardboard layer specially designed for wine bottles. Wine.com also offers a wine club.

Comments