Homemade Tortilla Burritos

My oldest has discovered frozen pre-packaged burritos, which I hate buying. One time I found a hair in a package of taquitos. Yuck. In the Taste of Home June/July 2010 issue I came across a homemade tortilla recipe, so I decided to see if homemade burritos would satisfy him. The original tortilla recipe called for all-purpose flour, but I modified it a bit.

My homemade tortilla recipe:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
3 tbs olive oil

In a large bowl, combine both flours and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5 - 6 times. Divide dough into 8 or more portions, depending on how large you would like to make the tortillas. I made mine small and ended up with about 14. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 5 - 7 inch circle.
In a large nonstick skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute until lightly browned. The original recipe said to heat each side, but I only did 1 side. Keep them warm.

For the homemade burrito filling I came up with:

1 tbs canola oil
1 lb hamburger, or 1/2 lb hamburger with 1/2 lb ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can refried beans
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, I used colby & monterey jack, cheddar would also work
salsa, if desired


Preheat oven to 350.
In a large skillet, add canola oil and heat for a few minutes. Combine hamburger (and ground turkey if using), onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes until hamburger is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
Stir in beans, chili powder and black pepper; mix well. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
Put a spoonful on the center of each tortilla and top with a handful of cheese. Fold bottom 1/3 of each tortilla over filling; fold sides in toward center, leaving top open.
Put all tortillas on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Serve with salsa if desired.

Verdict: These were even better than the frozen burritos.


Comments