Easy Apple Jelly

Now that it's apple season in upstate New York, I've been canning a bunch of applesauce. Really easy, tastes better and is much healthier than store bought applesauce. There's also no fructose corn syrup.
I always have a ton of peels left though, so I went poking around the internet to see if I could make anything out of them. Turns out there is. You can sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon and dry them, but I don't have a dehydrator. I tried the oven, but they just take too long.
Then I stumbled across this recipe for apple peel jelly. I gave it a try and it is AWESOME!!! Super easy too.
Here's what I did:

Put cores and peels from 12 apples in a pot and add 1 cup of water. Boil for 15 minutes. Drain liquid and pour back into pot. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and bring to a boil. Using a candy thermometer, boil until the temperature reaches 220F, continuously stirring. Pour into an empty glass jar.
This recipe makes just enough to enjoy without going through the whole process of canning jelly.


More Jelly Recipes

Comments