Easy Pumpkin Pudding



My 5 year old loves pumpkin pie, minus the crust, so I thought I'd try making pumpkin pudding.
My sons are both picky when it comes to eating vegetables, so I'm glad he likes pumpkin. It's a great sneaky chef ingredient. Pumpkin is a great source of Vitamin A. It also contains Vitamin C, Vitamin E and B vitamins along with minerals such as copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
This was super easy to make and only took about 10 minutes.

I made my own version based on the following two recipes:

http://caloriecount.about.com/pumpkin-pudding-vegan-recipe-r55425
http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/pumpkin-pudding.aspx


Here's the recipe I came up with:

1 can pumpkin purée
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
dash ginger
1 tsp. ground flaxseed, optional

Add all ingredients in order to sauce pan. Mix well and cook on medium low heat for 6 - 8 minutes, until thick.

Pour into dishes and refrigerate for about 1 1/2 hours.

Serve with whipped cream if desired.


Whipped Cream:

1 cup heavy cream
2 tbs sugar (I used 1/2 tbs)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat whipping cream, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium until soft peaks form.


More Pumpkin Recipes


Comments